Thursday, August 23, 2007

A New Car! (site)

The first post... this blog will either serve as a documentation to something great or it will be a documentation of my failure. Whether it works out or not, maybe there will be some good lessons for everyone to learn here. Unless you mis-step along the way, get side-tracked or simply loses interest in a project... there really is no half-assing when it comes to starting a new business. So the journey begins here; or maybe more accurately, a few days ago.

So what is this blog about? Well, about a week ago I decided that I wanted to start a new auto-classifieds website. The autos industry you say? Isn't that market a bit saturated? Yeah, perhaps... even if you don't pay attention to all the commercials, I'm sure you've heard of all the big names: AutoTrader.com, Cars.com, AutobyTel.com, Vehix.com, CarsDirect.com, AutoGuide.com, AutoMart.com, CarFax, CarMax, Autos.com, eBay Motors, Yahoo! Autos, Craigslist and so on... so why another website?

Well, in all honesty, one of my biggest... bigger dreams is to create a service that people will use. I like to be the problem solver in my daily life so if I can use my ability to help solve other people's problems; all the better!

Not convinced? Well... it may have something to do with the fact that advertisers in the autos industry have deep pockets and the opportunities here are plentiful. But I'm sure you can find that kind of supporting data in almost any kind of industry. I guess one of the main things is: people NEED cars! From the dawn of man people have been looking for short cuts and easier ways to travel. I mean, who was the first person who decided riding a horse would be a good idea? What about an elephant? But I digress.

I think there really could be a better solution out there for used cars sales. All the major brands above with the exception of Craigslist charges private parties to list their cars. While I understand every company needs to make money, I'm hoping to offer the same great solution for free while also solving the problem of the scams that are running rampant on Craigslist. How can people shop in a medium where all the sellers are over seas and their cars are stored somewhere far far away? Who thought that was even a good scam? Anyway, I'm hoping my new website will take the best of both worlds and help people in the process.

This blog will document the beginning stages of my new dot com. I hope the story will have a happy ending but only hard work and time will tell...

No comments: