Friday, December 7, 2007

Edgeio... Not Good Enough to Edge Out the Competition

So according to TechCrunch, Edgeio will be shutting down by the end of 2007. Considering the growing number of classified aggregators on the web (e.g. Oodle.com, Vast.com, etc.) I am honestly surprised this one would fall before the others.

I don't remember if I've done business with Edgeio but I do remember working with Oodle.com in my day job. If I had to base this on nothing else besides execution, I would say that Oodle did a better job squeezing money out of advertisers than Edgeio did. Why? Because I don't think I've ever seen a rep from Edgeio nor do I understand their business model; assuming they had one.

I guess the bottom line is - when all else is equal, everything comes down to execution. I've seen great ideas executed poorly as well as the difference it could make if a more experienced team were in charge. I'm not sure who all handled Edgeio's day to day but with $5 million in funding as well as a full staff, I would love to learn where it went down hill.

Is there a blog of venue that interviews dead pool CEOs? If not, there really should be one. It seems like everyone only focus on the winners.

No comments: