Sunday, October 28, 2007

"I can't afford it."

That's not true.

At least it's not true almost all the time. Very few of your prospects literally can't afford it. What they are really trying to say is, "it's not worth it." As in, it's not worth reprioritizing my life, not worth the risk, not worth what I'll have to give up to get this, not worth being in debt for.


The blog title and the quote above were pulled from Seth Godin's blog. Although he was talking about selling a product or service, I've actually received a similar response recently while talking with my friend about starting a company.

For me, it's always been "you can't afford not to..." after all, life's too short not to try. However, my friend's response to my question on why he hasn't started a venture when that's all he reads and writes about, really baffled me; until I read the quote above.

Even though many entrepreneurs have the courage to just go-for-it and take it for granted, there are many others out there who just can't seem to do the same. If you guys have any good advice on how to release the fear, I would love to hear about it so I can pass on the encouragement.

Edit: Releasing the fear is just the first roadblock of many to pass through when jumping into the world of entrepreneurship. However, everything else including money, technical skill, resources, etc. can all be resolved once a person set their mind to it. So the question is, what would make an entrepreneur climb over that first wall so s/he would learn that they can in fact think creatively and scale any wall?

No comments: