Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Good Night

You know you've had a good night programming when the screens are glowing in a dark room, to the left I've got a half finished can of Red Bull and 3 empty Mountain Dew cans. To the right, I've got a mostly eaten Chipotle Burrito bowl. Two or three Python references manuals are on the desk and all sense of time has been lost.



I'm a huge fan office ergonomics. I have a hard time focusing unless my surroundings feel purposeful and suit all my spacial needs and I thusly spend a large amount of time setting up my work area before I start a project. Having a purpose built office in my new house has really lent me to designing a good space. On this particular Thanksgiving weekend though, I'm at my future in-laws and have found the kitchen table to be the optimal place to work. Huge kitchen table workspace with a center leaf added holds the laptop and my secondary screen. A spiffy Ethan Allen chair (though it desperately needs proper lumbar support) supports me bum. A refrigerator within reach helps productivity as well.

In the end, it comes down to this. Without a proper work space, the work suffers. Spend some time getting your place together and figuring out what you need. It really can make quite a difference.

To respond to Wei's post, I didn't state all my reasons for this project. As you can see, feeding two dogs (one that eats as much as the entire population of Somolia) motivates me as well:



And seeing Wei's picture only solidifies my impressions of him over the last few months. Dog people rock. Wei and his pups are living proof of that. It's really great to work with such motivated and solid people.

No comments: