Saturday, November 10, 2007

Startup Weekend: Day 2

I must admit, it was hard getting up this morning after feeling a little bit defeated in the whole "ideas" thing. The clear business opportunity was out voted and instead, our group is working on a blog widget.

However, if there's one thing I love, it's a challenge. I've always prided myself in monetizing ideas and after a night of minor tossing and turning, I think I finally came up with something late last night.

It's a shame that these pictures aren't sexy and don't offer much else besides a bunch of guys pointing at a bunch of words. However, after spending a whole day locked inside the atdc, my one word to describe day 2 would be: surreal.

What impressed me the most is how everyone, and I mean EVERYONE took what they did best and bulldozed the sh*t through it. (This includes Lance taking out the trash on multiple occasions!) While there were definitely varying ideas about the product and of course arguments; in the end, what we designed came out pretty awesome.

Let's face it, when you group a bunch of type A people who want to be heard cause they care, there will be arguments. In the end, it's just business and we're doing what's best for the company. I was impressed by the speed in which we took a brand and then claimed everything we could claim off the name. Within a 15 minute period, everything Skribit was setup. Twitter, Facebook products, Wikipedia, various blogs, MySpace, etc. Also, I saw some pretty amazing prototypes done in just 12 hours of code. Hrmm, I also think I did a power point this morning; I vaguely remember someone calling me the "powerpoint ninja." Wow, 12 hours seemed like a lifetime ago. If I had a whole team of these people that GOT IT for all my ideas, imagine the possibilities...

Anyway, tomorrow will be the final day. As much as I love the product and the group, I'm really hoping everything can be done by 3pm. At this point, I really could use some sleep.

No comments: