Saturday, November 10, 2007

Startup Weekend: First Impressions

After an extremely long day at work, I fought through Peachtree traffic and arrived at the atdc to kick off the Startup weekend. First impressions? Definitely a LOT of hackers. In fact, when I arrived, I had a really "Legally Blonde" moment cause everyone brought their laptops to the event while all I had was a measly iPhone as my "computer".

Overall, there are a lot of smart people at this thing but I honestly do not think the hackers here think beyond their immediate needs. It mirrors most of my encounters and frustrations with developers which is above all else, they want to develop something with X number of features; creating a monetizable business is secondary... (sadly)

Once we hammer out the idea tomorrow I'll write about it in my next post. On a side note, I did have the pleasure of going back to my ransacked jeep which was broken into while I was at the event. Of the things they took that I actually cared about: my community gate opener and my iPhone protective case and earphones. They also took a pair of cheap sunglasses which was partially broken anyway; have fun with that one. *sigh* That's what I get for parking near Cheetah and leaving the area late instead of paying the ridiculous fee to park in the garage.

No comments: